ASK WITH KLAMZIE STYLES





Have you ever come across a person that inspires you to greatness or stumble upon SOMETHING random that changes you forever?
GOOD DAY FRIEND!!!
So, few months ago, a shy and dedicated introvert me, stumbled across an audio book by LARRY KING where he talked about “HOW TO TALK TO ANYONE” a brief motivational podcast on his journey to becoming one of the best journalist of all time. 

Larry King

Fast forward to today, that me may just be on the same path as him, maybe on a different platform but I am savoring my grown confidence and the chance of having conversations with great minds, sharing mind blowing, motivational itching, success stories. All because of the words that were uttered from that podcast.
Today I would be sharing with you my exclusive with KELLY OF KLAMZIE STYLES. a designer who had an encounter with a fashion icon (FOLAKE COKER) at a launching. a meeting that nurtured the fashionistic chakra that has established a brand that is unique and affordable for you and me. 

Folake Coker

Interestingly, I came across this brand at the African Fashion Week in my motherland, where I made up my mind to reach out and I am grateful to be obliged.

Based in Owerri State, the South - Eastern part of Nigeria, KLAMZIE STYLES is gradually warming its way into the wardrobes of fashion hub - Lagos, Abuja, states across Nigeria, Africa and as of today Turkey, with its touch of cutting-edge ANKARA print designs that compliments almost every outfit.



ASK WITH KLAMZIE STYLES
ASK: Who started KLAMZIE STYLES and why?
Kelly Mbakwem started KLAMZIE STYLES in 2012 with a vision “To create unique and affordable African designs for every occasion and individual”

ASK: What inspired the name KLAMZIE STYLES?
The name klamzie is a combination of my name(Kelly), my surname(Mbakwem), my husband and son’s (Chigozie). I wanted a name that would sound Classy.


ASK: Is it a male or female brand or both?
Both. It’s a family collection. 

ASK: Which is your favorite piece of clothing?
Trouser and top.  Love a touch of Ankara fabric in all my wears.



ASK: What is your favorite part in your job?
My favorite part of the job is planning and sketching designs for a new collection. It’s a time when I’m more relaxed and excited about the new design I will create.



ASK: Can you describe the evolution of your work from when you began till date?
In 2012, KLAMZIE STYLES work began with simple designs that were less expensive. By 2017 our designs had become more intricate, but still affordable.  The attention to details in our designs has improved over the years. 


ASK:  If you must choose one designer each from males and females, who has provided a source of inspiration to you personally. Who, how and why?

I admire many designers, but had a personal encounter with Folake Coker (Tiffany Amber) when she launched her collection in Abuja.  Meeting her and modeling her designs inspired me a lot.  I didn’t believe that such eloquent pieces could be designed in Nigeria.  After the show, I started sketching designs for fun until 2012 when I decided to start fashion as a business.  Today, I still have a list of designers that inspire me and hope to meet them, but Mai Atafo and Jewel by Lisa are top of my list.  



ASK: What is your relationship with other designers in African and any notable mention?
I’m in good relationship with other designers I met. I’m currently working on the registration with Fashion Designer Association in Nigeria(FADAN) to meet more designers. 

ASK: What is the future of KLAMZIE STYLES?
KLAMZIE STYLES hopes to be the desired label in every home. We hope to open branches and work with boutiques to sell our designs. 


ASK: Tell us a little about the tourist attraction in Owerri and how is the fashion hustle over there, in comparison, with Lagos?
We have more than 15 tourist places in Owerri, e.g. Mbari Art and cultural center, National Museum, Owerri.   The People of Owerri love fashion! In comparison to Lagos, we are still growing, and fashion business in Owerri is on the teething stage.


Thank you for your time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTAGRAM FEED

@ofnforchildren