ASK WITH MAIBECCA ON HER COLLABORATION WITH WOODIN



TOPE

These past few weeks have been awesome for me. I must confess it has been quite overwhelming and I would like to express my gratitude, firstly to you for reading and to all those who have accepted my invitations for exclusive interviews.

There is the saying that no man is an island, that is, every man needs someone. 
In the world of fashion, a digest to the above statement can be clearly envisioned through COLLABORATIONs.
Collaborations in the fashion industry has always been a big deal. Collaborations between Artists, Musicians, interior designers, name any field you can think of, the have all collaborated at some point in time.
Let me go straight to the point because I can see myself drifting to an academic writing pattern if I don’t pause now.





Today, I share with you my conversation with the elegant, stunning, gorgeous, astonishing damsel- Tope. With a smile that makes the sun even brighter and an angelic look that should grace every billboard in Africa, she stands. She is the CEO of MaiBecca, an uprising female fashion house in Nigeria. WOODIN a home name when you talk of Ankara prints production, just recently collaborated with MaiBecca.
I was happy to pick her brain on how she made it happen and the experience as the new kid already dinning with the big leagues.

INTERVIEW

ASK: Merhabah!! Thank you for accepting this interview.
Can we know the beautiful face behind the MAIBECCA success story?
The face behind MAIBECCA is Tope Becky Owolabi
ASK: What is MAIBECCA about and what is the goal as the new rave of the town?

MAIBECCA is a female fashion house. Our goal is to make anyone in a MAIBECCA piece look simply stylish and feel good about themselves.

ASK: Who was your first designed piece for?

My first design was when I was in fashion school. I made it for myself. I called it the Wasp Godet Dress

ASK: Who bought your first marketable piece?

A friend of mine bought my first marketable piece. She saw the Wasp Godet dress. I made and she asked that I make one for her. I think I made it for 3500. lol

ASK: How affordable are MAIBECCA outfits?

It depends on what the clients order is. So, I’ll say from N10,000 upwards. Pretty affordable yeah?


ASK: Congrats on your partnership with WOODIN. That is a big leap for your brand and we are happy for you.
How did you get the collaboration and what was it like?

I got a call from the marketing manager that she heard that I had gone into fashion full time and wanted me to make some pieces for the WOODIN in store narrowcasting. Prior to this, I used to work for VLISCO Nigeria, the parent company of Woodin.
So, I sketched out some designs, we reviewed them and selected the designs that was preferred and got to work. Although the time frame was short, we did everything in our power to meet the deadline for the shoot. 
There were 9 outfits in all and Kola Osalusi handled the photography, Omalicha handled the makeup and the outfits were styled by Nine Eight Couture.

ASK: Working with a power house like WOODIN known for sophisticated production and Ankara prints manufacturing. How was your experience with them?

It was a very great experience for us. I mean, we are still growing as a brand and it was really encouraging that a brand like WOODIN was willing to collaborate with us. Of course, there are future collaborations. We are presently working on something, it’ll be out before the end of August.
We also plan to launch a collection for our ready to wear brand in August – MAIFACTORY.


ASK: What was the theme of the project?

The theme for the collection was “The Woodin Woman”. The WOODIN woman is confident enough to show off her WOODIN print into every staple of her wardrobe and rock it stylishly.


ASK: Wow!!!
That is impressive and we hope to see more of such collaborations both locally and internationally, in the future.
Before we close the curtain, here is a teaser.
You are from Ibadan, the largest city-state in Africa right? YES!!!
In your local dialect, can you tell me something to lookout for as a tourist visiting Ibadan?
 
Amala
In Yoruba? That will be difficult but let me try: Omo Ibadan ni mi. We make the best Amala in the world. Lol



Contact MAIBECCA
☎ : +2348073491847 : info.maibecca@gmail.com.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTAGRAM FEED

@ofnforchildren